....than a beautiful butterfly?I don't think so .... Here is one of the Orchard Swallowtail butterflies that were cavourting around our buddleia bushes this afternoon... it's wings were almost constantly fluttering so it wasn't an ideal life model...

nor indeed was it alone - look closely and you'll see not one, not two, but three darling orchard swallowtails in this shot...

these are HUGE! that's my hand in the shot - and whilst I may not have the longest fingers or largest palm in the world - it will give you some idea of the size of this beauty...

according to both my observation and confirmation in my copy of 'butterflies of australia' - the Orchard Swallowtail (aka Papilio aegeus) fly 'slowly and erratically' (tick) and 'when settled the wings are held outspread' (tick). This looks like a girlie - who have a wingspan of around 108mm (which is bigger than the boys - you go girl!)
The Orchard Swallowtail is quite common around my parts, enjoying not only the buddleia (purpose planted for butterflies) but use my neighbouring citrus as a larval food plant - they do no real damage... and give great joy
ooooo I just have to give it a wee love pat!

I love 'flutterbys'
No comments:
Post a Comment