
I've always said I married a champion.... and each year I get proof - again this year at the Bega Show FP came home with a swag of impressive ribbons and trophies - this year we took home a very nice wok as a trophy for 'champion steer vealer' of the show... great stuff - just what I was hankering for!
But I always have mixed emotions about beef - I'm such a long-term committed vegetarian (I've been vege for more than 20 years... all my adult life...) I always look at all the lovely animals and feel sad that they will end up as dinner for someone - somewhere - and that's just the simplistic reasoning behind my vege choice - I runs far deeper than that.
Yet I live on a beef farm, and my partner is a beef farmer....
I feel pride in FP's achievement - he raises the very best beef anywhere on the planet (in my humble, non taste-tested opinion!) and he does so with a great deal of knowledge and understanding, compassion and caring. I've seen his eyes well up when he has loaded some of his loveliest creatures to go to the sale, or had to bury a favourite cow. If you have animals their lives are in your hands always - and it is a duty to ensure that they are well looked after.I know that our animals could not have a better life - they are not shoved into hideous feedlots, forcefed grains and antibiotics and growth promotants, transported kilometres to massive factory abbottoirs to be slaughtered without dignity. Our creatures live a natural herd existence - the calves (vealers) stay with their mothers until they are naturally weaned (around 9 months - the age varies) - so they are milk- and grass-fed (a lifestyle that ensures not only superior beef - but is kinder to the environment and the cattle) They are generally sold locally (we only use 'Dave' to transport them - he's on our wavelength - never abuses or stresses the animals, just takes his time) and mostly they go to the small local abbottoir and then to small local butchers....
I think the simple point I'd like to make is - I know the equation is far more complicated than beef=bad, vege=good... and perhaps I understand this better than many folk as I have to live the dichotomy...
Goodness I hadn't intended to get into a whole philosphical discussion - I just wanted to show off FP's ribbons!
No comments:
Post a Comment