Thursday, April 29, 2010

TWIG-23

hmmm - my 'this week in the garden' posts are turning more into 'this SEASON in the garden'
ahhhh well - take it as an indication that I'm spending more time in the garden than online talking about being in the garden (wishful thinking!!!!)


 (the vege garden in autumn.... all the beds are in transition to cooler weather...)

ahhh goodness so much has been happening all over the garden I don't know where to start! well if you look at the pic of the vege garden now you might notice something 'strange' - we carpeted the paths!!! my folks had some hideous, ruined (and wet) carpet under the house that they thought was good only for landfill - I saw it as potential (free) weed mat - wheeeee! in coming months we'll cover the carpet with something 'pretty' (river sand maybe? or woodchips...)

and in the vege garden beds I've been busy planting autumn/winter crops - oodles of brassicas (turnips, swedes, cabbage, broccoli, kale etc etc), garlic, peas, silverbeet and more..... most are now doing well (the beet family are a bit hit and miss on the germination)


 pink buddlea (from the decorative garden below the house....)

aside from the vege patch - I've been tackling the decorative garden bed below the house (and so too has the chook unfortunately! she has been scratching up the mulch and making a heck of a mess..... its a good thing that she's returned to laying eggs or she might have been scheduled for chicken soup) - I've also planted out the chimney garden (with dry herbs.... I hope it proves a good selection for the difficult site) - and FP has been busy tidying up the overgrown section of garden above my studio (what a mess!!!!!). We have an idea that this would be a good site for our permanent poultry house/yard.... (I fancy the idea of looking out my studio window and seeing chookies.... they are nice company and can be really really funny to watch)  - now just to find the time and materials to build one

I'm hoping to tidy up the entrance to the studio and come up some scheme for planting.... hmmmmm I keep changing my mind about what to do here....


But the biggest 'news' in the garden of late has to be our giant sweet potato - harvested last week (I posted a piccie and tale over here as I knew I wouldn't get the time to plonk it on this blog)

and talking of time - I'd better go turn off the hose!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Very impressed with your garden beds and those great hoops - just what we need. I've planted a buddlea and now think I didn't give it enough space as it's taken on a bit of a marauding personna but I do love those soft pink flowers. Great sweet potato!