gerbera - in the lower decorative garden
Don't let the pretty flower pic lead you astray - last weekend we had days of WILD WEATHER - the highway just outside our place was weirdly quiet - it was closed for more than 2 whole days as there were trees over the road EVERYWHERE.... well we did experience category 2 cyclone conditions.....
as I looked outside out place I could see many large and small trees felled all over the place.... in my little garden my darling beloved banksia baxterii what snapped off at the base
I'm so disappointed - it has been a favourite of mine....
the passionfruit vine that covered the western side of my studio (and a fair amount of the roof) also took a battering - but with a trim it should come back ok
the vege garden came through it all without a hitch - in fact it positively reveled the miserable conditions!
(chinese - or wombok - cabbage seedlings under movable protection)
and our citrus trees are having their very best season
(looking down the line of citrus trees -
the tangelo are so laden with fruit -
but all the trees are looking great!)
the tangelo are so laden with fruit -
but all the trees are looking great!)
To Do
move bean support to become a pea support (ooops haven't done this yet!)
plant more onion seedlings
prepare site for bare root trees (order bare root trees!)
Completed
onion, spring onion, leek, pak choy, hebe, erigeron, chinese cabbage, lettuce seedlings planted
old tomato vines removed to the compost
vege garden weeded (again!)
spent watermelon and cucumber vines composted
Picking/eating
baby tuscan kale, baby ruby silverbeet, baby dignams special silverbeet, gold bullion zucchini, curly endive, late season sugar baby watermelon, pontiac potatoes, butternut pumpkin, capsicum, thai eggplant, tangelo, meyer lemon, eureka lemon, japanese mandarin, orange, lemonade fruit.
3 comments:
Shame about the Banksia. But if your budget does not allow a purchased replacement...you could try burning some (small) rubbish on what's left and see if it regenerates. It worked with B. integrifolia!
(You could even chuck the odd book on the fire!)
I planted the banksia about 6-7 years ago - they are so slow growing here (indeed I don't know of anyone else in the area who managed to get one to grow at all)
I've resigned myself to the loss....
so thanks for the idea of setting it on fire! I might have a go at piling a heap of soil around the snapped root - but I'll let you know if I go with the fire options
Sad about the Banksia. I wondered if you were in the path of that wild weather, Jane too, I guess. Your citrus look great and I'm pleased to say ours do too. Very heavily laden this year, perhaps from all the rain. Is it ungrateful to say the rain can stop now?
Post a Comment