This week we have been inundated by a plague of christmas beetles of biblical proportions! We've never seen anything like it – every eucalypt in the garden (in the whole area...) is covered in the beasties (if you stand under any of the trees you can actually hear them munching the leaves – scary!) At night, they attack the glass windows and doors of the house madly trying to reach the lights inside. The poor gum trees – they are being stripped of their foliage.
I suspect that the beetles emergence 'en masse' has something to do with the vile dry dry dry weather... I just hope that they move on before all the trees are killed.
And I can't blame the beetles for the ongoing troubles in the garden - yet another collection of beet seedlings has been stolen by a garden thief (I'm thinking my seedling thief is either birds or snails/slugs - I haven't caught either in the act though....)
grrrrr - I thought I had enough to whine about with the lack of rain....
To do
sow early parsnips, capsicum/chillies, more leafy greens,
weed the herb garden (again)
and of course try to get on top of all the things not done on the 'to do' list!
Completed
not much!
Sweet potato seedling planted (in raised tyre mound – for extra warmth)
berry garden weeded
FP is building some amazing bird/creature exclusion 'cages' for our seedlings – but as he is a perfectionist, they are taking a while to complete (wait until you see them - fabulous!)
Picking/Eating
baby beetroot, italian cabbage, spring onions, cos lettuce, and a smattering of blueberries and raspberries.
No comments:
Post a Comment