Saturday, March 20, 2010

TWIG - 21

well - I haven't found that extra hour int he day or day in the week.... so instead I'm just doing my usual - trying to not feel bad that I can't do it all... at least I can appreciate the lovelies that surround us...



oh and this week gave us one of the funniest tale to date from our garden (something I'm sure will go into our family's folk lore - first a little bit of background..... can you remember me mentioning our 'zucumbers'?  a weird plant cross between the zucchini and a cucumbe)r...

ok so we've had these 'zucumbers' growing madly up near my studio - they've been really vigorous - and of course after an early taste test we've been totally underwhelmed by them.... we've just allowed the rambling plant to remain because - well - we've been lazy!

this week sass had a look at the large fruits on the plant

"these look like rockmelons" he told us

"yes son, they kinda do look like rockmelons.... but they are those yucky zucumbers remember?"

"they look like rockmelons....."

days past as the small boy continued to gaze at the zucumbers with rockmelon dreams....

eventually we figured the only way to prove that the plants were not rockmelons (YUM) but were indeed zucumbers (YUCK) was to cut one open - we brought it inside.... the knife slid into the zucumber flesh....

and

oh I'm sure you'll guess the end of the tale I don't have to tell you do I? (oh the shame, the shame!)



zucumber  ooops I mean rockmelon


my garden credibility is now shot totally to pieces!

its a good thing we didn't yank the plant out as there are about 30 or more rockmelons for our big-eyed kidlins to devour!

ah well at least my garden credentials are intact with my massive pumpkin crop - just starting to fully ripen now. On the one butternut pumpkin vine we've collected 30 beautiful pumpkins (and there are at least another 15 still ripening). and I've got to say they are d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!!!!!!!


butternut pumpkin - on the front verandah for safe keeping

now if only I can get to all the other jobs needing my attention.....



TO DO

*plant more autumn/ winter seeds 
* order bare root fruit trees
*take cuttings of hydrangea and woody herbs

Completed
* vege garden weeded
* wistringea hedge pruned
* the first batch of tomato sauce (nana t's recipe)
* planted late season parsnip, beetroot and ruby silverbeet seeds
* wombok cabbage, pak choy seedlings planted
* grass mowed.... yet again!
 
Picking/ eating
baby endive, raspberries, ivory eggplant, thai eggplant, bulls blood beetroot, pontiac potatoes, cherokee wax beans, climbing princess beans, green capsicum, sweet basil, roma tomatoes, baby patty-pan squash, black mulberries, white mulberries (we got a surprise second crop of both mulberries - fab!), watermelon (is yum!) and of course ROCKMELONS!

No comments: